Thursday, April 02, 2015

I stopped on my bicycle this morning at a traffic light near the bus stop where my street enters a bigger one, and in the fraction of a minute that I was frozen there I saw/heard two people talking, a young man and a young woman, whom I didn't know.  I rode away as she turned and walked away from him.  For the hour that I rode along the river, the scene became a short story that became a poem when I got home.



“It’s my way or the highway,” he said,
using the phrase he had heard someone say
long ago in a context he couldn’t recall,
and he wondered as the last syllable passed his lips
if it was used often and generally enough to be a cliche
and decided that it was indeed no more or less than that
which made him wish he could call back the words,
but there they were ringing in his ears
while he watched to see if her eyes smiled
because she knew how silly he felt
or because she was deciding to stay with him
or maybe even to say, “To hell with it,”
or maybe even, “Go fuck yourself, buster,
because I don’t need this kind of shit.”
At any rate, she smiled and didn’t say a word
just stood there motionless except for her eyes
with her hands in the pockets of the blue coat
that looked as if it might have been lifted 
from the grocery cart full of old clothes
and other odds and ends from other people’s lives
belonging now to the resident street woman of Linda Vista
who lives in the bushes and on the bench at the bus stop
where he catches his ride to work every morning.

He waited and watched until it seemed to him an hour had passed
when she finally said without losing any of the strength from her smile,
“Which way do I go on this street if I want to get to someplace else from here,”
and she turned away from him and left without another word.



No comments: