Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I read in the newspaper this morning a dire prediction about long periods of drought... and thought and thought and was almost on the verge of beginning a rant about foolish waste of precious resources... but caught myself just in time and launched into a day dream instead.  Then I went out into the world and found images that make me happy.  Don't think I'm making all this stuff up.  This is the way the day went.  Life is good.


Dreams in a Dry Season

What a trip it would be
to take off running from the top of that high hill
and leap into the air at the last minute
before rushing over the edge of the cliff
and fly out over the green valley
to circle with hawks up and up...

To break out from the glide
and head off toward the towering thunderhead
waiting on the western horizon
and slide into the soft shoulder of high fog
and then turn straight up in the middle
through the storm to the topmost billow.

What a joyful ride it would be
to streak wet and glistening
through the driving rain shower
just above the tips of the willows
that toss their feather branches in the wind
to land feet first and running through the meadow.


Clyde and Orange Cat


The bee working a cactus blossom in Balboa Park


A squirrel who didn't mind my watching while it had breakfast


A Snowy Egret fishing


The lady over on Clyde's and Dave's street walking to market


A caterpillar on its way to becoming a butterfly


A duck not caring that I watched her preening


Then I was on the road again... thinking life is good.

No comments: