Tuesday, February 10, 2015


FAVORITE JACKET

Contradictions abound,
at least enough to make prediction
unlikely to be trustworthy
unless, of course, the forecast
calls for what is not expected,
but that’s not what this writing is about
as much as it is about the fact
that I like the unexpected
more than is normal
and confess without apology
that fascination with the possibility 
of adventure around the next corner 
or in the next hour of my life
keeps my eyebrows raised
and my mind racing.

Why is it, then,
that there is such comfort
in a twenty-five-year-old jacket
with frays and tears at the collar
and needs mending at the pocket…
and the white shirt with blue stripes
bought in Andover, Massachusetts,
isn’t even the kind of shirt I prefer
when it is new and crisp,
but now the soft, gentle material
has become part of the fabric of my life
that, like a good friend,
I hope to keep forever.




No comments: