Wednesday, December 24, 2014



I’m thinking the orb weaver spider (Argiope argentata) that lives in our back yard has grown accustomed to my presence as I have grown used to its being there.  It has strung a carefully constructed web across a pathway between the rosemary bush and a jade plant to catch dinner, and I respect its effort and go another way when I’m walking there.  More than a month ago when I saw it for the first time, it was startled when I brought my camera very close for a picture.  Now it doesn’t flinch or hurry to the edge of the web when I approach. I like this creature; and when an old man with a camera is joined in the back yard by a fine grandson who also likes cameras and spiders and who once upon a time enjoyed fantastic myths (and perhaps still does) about a young man who became spider man and goes about helping people who are in trouble… Ahhhh.  Life doesn’t get much better than this.  





No comments: