Saturday, November 29, 2014


Old Jacket

I took a photograph
of myself once
leaning against a Virginia sweetgum tree.
I fixed the camera to the tripod, 
pressed the button...
commanded the camera so it would go off
only after I had moved around in front
to stand beside the tree 
where I stood waiting.
I remember gazing into the eye of the camera,
gazing into the shiny black eye,
watching, staring, waiting,
and I was caught in time,
hands thrust in pants pockets
and the jacket almost new
when I was forty.

I remember those years since,
now almost twice forty,
sifting through the box of pictures,
coming across it every year or two.
There I am
standing in the jacket,
leaning in the jacket against the sweetgum tree.
Who is it that stands there?
The jacket is in my California closet now,
but I almost never wear it…
collar frayed and faded,
but I pull it on occasionally
and go out wondering
am I the same man, 
the one in the photograph?
Who is this walking still
out the door 
and down the street,
out, out, out,
with my jacket,
his jacket,
the jacket in the photograph
with somebody in it.



1 comment:

Rajesh said...

A wee bit of haunting and beautiful longing comes through these lines. You are him, he is not you.