Saturday, August 16, 2014


In a world where serious stuff is hitting global fans, other sorts of fans are buying (to the serious tune of $200 million dollars according to the L.A. Times) a computer game from the iPhone App Store built around Kim Kardashian and her famous family.  The goal for players of the game: “transform from a starving no-name to a rich-and-famous A-lister.”  Never mind the Ferguson, Mo., killing, riots, and looting or the plight of kids being deported back to Honduras to be slaughtered by street gangs and associates of drug cartels… or the continually failing cease-fires in the Israel-Palestine outrage… or Ebola in Africa… the ethnic cleansing taking place in Iraq and the tinderbox that Eastern Ukraine has become… or… or… or…  Perhaps the mood of my camera today was a carry-over from the cemetery scene in Fontana yesterday.  My picture for the day is a dried out bromeliad flower from last year against the screen of our bedroom door.  I did a second photo of the same dried flower, turned slightly.  I got the yellow blob of freshly and boldly emerged fungus oozing out of a scar on a tree a few feet from Mike Brayer’s newly tenanted grave yesterday. How could I resist photoshopping the second day lily that bloomed in our front yard today?  The last image, of a bottlebrush tree, was what I saw as I was coming up from grilling steaks for dinner.  I thought how I want to pack it in if I ever stop noticing the way the late afternoon sunlight brings alive those bright red blossoms.


In spite of everything… YES!




No comments: