Wednesday, May 21, 2014


Today is Wednesday, the day of each week when I meet a group of friends for coffee early in the morning. We are a healthy bunch.  We like each other.  I have never heard from any of these friends anything that would suggest that they ever want anyone to suffer... 




I have to say that something about strongly expressed concern over the failure of America to deliver adequate, on-time, medical service to veterans strikes me as being insincere at best and perhaps grossly hypocritical. I personally line right up with all those who believe veterans who need medical help should get it promptly and with no hassle.  I get it.  Every citizen who serves the country in wartime  deserves to be provided with healthcare.  How could anyone of good conscience want to deny veterans basic health services. Is there anybody out there who wants veterans to suffer?  I haven’t met anybody who wants to deny healthcare to veterans.

Here’s what I don’t understand. How is it possible that in a country as wealthy as America those same people who are outraged that veterans have had to wait often in pain before being scheduled for appointments with healthcare providers are opposed absolutely to providing healthcare for citizens who are not veterans?  Of course, I am grateful to veterans and all public servants who dedicate themselves to public service.  I don’t want any of them to suffer from illnesses, mental or physical, which can be treated successfully.  I must say also that I believe our nation should make treatment for mental and physical illnesses available for all citizens.  How can any person of good conscience vote against healthcare programs designed to meet the health needs of all citizens?  Our nation provides complete healthcare for all members of congress and for their families, yet a majority of the members of the House of Representatives are adamantly opposed to developing programs that would provide basic healthcare for every American citizen.  What’s that about?  How do they explain it to each other?  

Please don’t misunderstand me. I am distressed that some, apparently many, veterans are not getting the healthcare they need. I am also distressed that many citizens, the poorest among us, are not getting healthcare because they cannot now and never will be able to get a doctor’s appointment when they get sick because they can’t get the money to pay for the help they need. 







1 comment:

John B. said...

erral,
An old nation builder, Governor Wilder of Virginia once said....take hot anger and turn it into cold steel....sounds like you are putting your walk into an important issue.....

You go guy.....my issue is that undocumented have no access to Obama Care....that too must change....so our work is not over....justice is our game bro....

agape'
JB