Wednesday, May 28, 2014


San Diego’s historic site equivalent to Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts is on a hill near what is now Old Town. It can be said that Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo “discovered” San Diego in 1542, but basically nothing happened that lead to a settlement until 1769 when a squadron of 50 Spanish soldiers and a few missionaries led by Father Junipero Serra, the Spanish Franciscan friar, established a mission and a small fort near what is now Old Town.  Father Serra engaged the indigenous Kumeyaay People in building Mission de Alcala five years later at the eastern edge of what is now Mission Valley.  The Kumeyaay had occupied a village site there called Nipaguay for 2000 years before the Europeans came.  



I followed my friend Tom Fagan, the painter and muralist, around Mission de Alcala this afternoon while he located and settled into a spot in a courtyard to set up his easel.  He is an amazing man, a great talent.  




You can take a look at some of Tom's work at http://tomfagan.com






1 comment:

Jim... said...

Hi Jerral.

These are great pix. Glad you were able to spend time with your friend/painter, Tom Fagan. I enjoyed seeing some of his work by visiting his website.

While I loved seeing your great photo of Mission de Alcala, I was reminded of an alternate view of the history of the missions: The Missions of California; A Legacy of Genocide. I found a frank review at the San Diego History Center website. It is yet another example of an omission of honest California history I/we were taught in school. You probably know this book.

It does not surprise me that the Archdiocese of Monterey would want to fight any besmirching of Junipero Serra's legacy and the effort of some to achieve sainthood for him. I'm again angered by just reading a review of this book and being reminded of how horrible Serra was in his "conversion" of the indigenous people of California. Now this is a rant I coiuld easily launch into….but, I'll spare you……(smile, frown, smile, frown……)

All this said, the architect and the priceless artifacts from the missions period are not to be diminished by Serra's true legacy. I always love your dailies. Be proud that they evoke often deep emotions in your aging brother. (big SMILE)…

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/89summer/br-missions.htm

Love you………..JIM