Tuesday, December 17, 2013


Anticipating sunset

In late afternoon yesterday the narrow, irregular bands of clouds stretched horizontally from Mexico to the San Clemente Islands rising up in thin layers from near the Pacific horizon into high sky where a full moon sailed in and out of a red, yellow and orange light show. It was spectacular.  I was driving toward it... thought about stopping, but the traffic on the freeway was merciless; so I promised myself I’d get it for sure tomorrow.  

Today, yesterday's tomorrow, I prepared for the encore by paying attention to autumn hues where I walked in the garden.  I aimed my camera deliberately at sunset colors knowing the daytime images would compliment perfectly the sky and clouds I would get with the fading of Tuesday light.  Anticipation was heightened as the day wore on and thin clouds returned to the western sky. Then an hour before the light show was to begin the gray bands huddled together to form a smooth scrim. Mother Nature cancelled the show... postponed the show is a better way of putting it. Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

I can wait.  If you know how to do it, anticipating something wonderful is almost as good, perhaps sometimes even better, than the actual thing itself.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely have a way with words! And photos. Very nice. Thank you.
David J.

Rajesh said...

Its like buying a lottery ticket and dreaming every day of the jackpot. Its the dream that adds fun to the waiting.