Friday, November 01, 2013

Для вас, Антон, мой друг

SHARING SEASONS…


After Wednesday’s BLOG post about San Diego’s autumn, my extraordinary friend, Anton, who lives in Smolensk, Russia, sent photographs to me of real autumn, Russian Autumn. I’ve been there in summer, and a few years ago I spent a couple of months with Anton in the middle of Russian winter; but I’ve not had the pleasure of seeing Russian autumn with my own eyes.  Not yet.  

Anton’s photographs transport me to that beautiful place at the western edge of Russia where light has magic in it. He has given me permission to share his pictures on the BLOG. Dostoevsky’s words on yesterday’s BLOG post are perfect for these photographs of a place that the writer knew and loved. The first perfect landscape photograph doesn’t exaggerate the beauty of the Russian countryside.  It’s every bit as wonderful as that picture.  The shadow in the second picture is Anton, and in the next picture his son Danya and the Grandfather make an image that matches exactly the descriptions of families in Dostoevsky’s stories. чудесно!













1 comment:

Helen T. said...

How fascinating! Jesse and I went to the Soviet Union with 40 people with The Fellowship of Reconciliation in the l980's. We met with peace committees in several cities. When not involved with our group, we met with Esperantists in "off time" in several cities -- in The Ukraine and several other small attached countries down south.

It really touched me to see your friend and the boy in your pictures.
Helen T.