Sunday, July 07, 2013

The Hawk Was There...



The hawk was there,
posing...
I watched
until it flew away
from the redwood tree in the small grove
where redwoods don’t grow naturally.

The tree isn’t thriving...
It’s sickly, 
green below
and little more than skeleton
where it touches the sky.

I’ve seen the red tail there 
on other days 
perched,
watching
for  squirrels
and other small creatures.

One day it caught a snake
and flew up with it squirming
where I guess it squeezed
until its prey gave up and died.

I looked around for somebody
to whom I could say Aaaahhh,
Aaaaahhh, do you see what I see?
But not a soul was there...
then the bird flew away,
snake dangling limp.

You’ll have to take my word for it...
that day with the snake
and again today.
My camera was in a bag
on the back of my bike.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerral, you see the world in such a unique and wonderful way.
T.M.

Anonymous said...

You are Buddhist at heart!
Carl

Unknown said...

Love how you spin a tale, and the camera in a bag? I hate when that happens.

Anonymous said...

Love this poem! We all know the feeling. We have a hawk in our alley which I always enjoyed watching. Now, with two new kittens, the bird just makes me nervous in case they "escape" in to the real world I had planned for them to live in eventually.
Sarah