Friday, July 05, 2013

REQUIEM FOR A CROW



REQUIEM FOR A CROW

The end...
smashed flat on the roadway
in the valley close to the river...
by the curve that goes around
the newspaper building where 
obituaries are printed free
if the death is newsworthy
but will cost forty dollars
otherwise.

Gliding down to pick up a mouse
or frog killed crossing the street...
Journey Interruptus!
Amen!

What could the bird have been thinking?

You've seen crows lift and fly
sideways for a truck or car
or even a loud motorcycle,

and for a bicycle hop aside.

No hopping aside today
or ever.
I came along on my bike
and there it was...
finished.

Maybe last night...
Aaaah, last night... in the sycamore trees...
I heard
crows crowing...
a raucous chorus.

Birds of a feather!

I prefer to believe something happened
last night in the sycamore trees...
something so wonderful,
so unforgettable 
it couldn’t be erased from his mind.
Obliterated.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerral,

You nourish my soul day by day.

Thank you,
Taylor

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful note, Jerral. I'm often so impressed with your writings and photography and think...if the world could just have many, many more folks like Jerral, how much better the world would be. Keep up the good work, my friend, you are adding much!
Bob

Unknown said...

What Anonymous and Anonymous said. I swear, I couldn't express it any clearer if I tried. There are givers and takers in the world, you are a giver.