Wednesday, May 29, 2013



Our Town?
Well, not exactly...

The way I see IT depends on how much of IT belongs to me--not to possess or to own-- but how much of it I have drawn into myself so it it part of me...whether I’m talking about my family or the house where I live or my town or my state or my country. When I say, “our family” I can mean only the people who are closest and dearest to me, or I can include in my meaning  a reference to all those first and second cousins whom I haven’t seen in years or ever and probably wouldn’t recognize if I met them on the street. That’s the way IT is. 

I got today’s pictures in Yuba City, which was once "my town."  A very long time ago I was part of the community... and the community was part of me.  To some extent the community defined me... to myself and to others. When I look for myself in the old familiar places, I discover that Jerral Miles has moved on, and so has the town.  He is irrelevant to this place. 


I was a Honker once... and proud of it.
I knew what it meant to be a Honker.  Now I have no idea.



John Birch Society signs have been replaced by Tea Party signs.
I don't remember what the Ammo Outlet replaced on Plumas Street.
Whatever it was, I think I'd like it to come back.



At ten o'clock this morning a guy was asked to walk a straight line on Queen's Avenue.
He couldn't.

...some Good News: The old Sutter Theater on Plumas Street has become an Art Center.


Magnolias bloom the same as they did the year Nancy was born at Fremont Hospital.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the journey "home" and back. :-)
D.J.