Monday, May 06, 2013



MAY 6TH RAINY-DAY ODYSSEY

After a gentle rain in the night our usually dry world glistened under alternating gray clouds and blue sky this morning.  The local T.V. weather people teased us with a forecast of 30 percent chance of rain; I decided to go out anyway.  Heading east through Mission Valley, I was a quarter of an hour from home when the rain began.  People who live in a place where rain comes often probably wouldn't want to be out in it on a bicycle, but heading into a summer with little chance of any more rain at all until late October, I welcomed it. I celebrated.  I frolicked.  I felt very much alive. 

After an hour, the rain showed no signs of letting up, so when I got to El Cajon Boulevard from Fairmont Drive, I headed for a favorite coffee shop in Kensington. For an old man there is something perversely satisfying about hitching his bike in the rain to a tree and dripping into a coffee house full of younger Monday morning folks determined to stay dry.  In San Diego people go surfing if they want to get wet in the middle of the day. The barista obviously appreciated and understood my glee. There was no one behind me at the counter, so she leaned toward me, palm forward, smiled and whispered when I tried to give her the money and said, “This one's on the house.”  

Life is good.


Usually, if I want a reflection, I have to Photoshop it in.  Not today.






Usually, when we see water running in the street, a water main has broken.  Not today.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adams Avenue, Kensington -- my old part of the town! Nice!
Helen. T.

Anonymous said...

I remember that about California: no rain at all from roughly April until Oct. It was the thing I liked least about the State: this was the 70's. I have always loved rain, and stormy days just don't depress me.I like different types of rain...I loved watching the Kentucky Derby...and all that mud...Orb seemed to be having a fine time..he doesn't seem to mind rain...what a fine looking runner...and I don't know much about horses.Look forward to seeing him run again.Jazzfest in NOLA had some rain this year, but the last weekend was darn near perfect weather!
Lenda

Anonymous said...

Great fun! But you spoke too soon about the water main break…..happened just after you left!
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I love reflection pictures.
I took some once in Hawaii of puddles with palm trees reflected. They looked like I had used black and white film because the pavement was black.
I felt very creative!!!!!!!!!!!
M.L.

Anonymous said...

I love reflection pictures.
I took some once in Hawaii of puddles with palm trees reflected. They looked like I had used black and white film because the pavement was black.
I felt very creative!!!!!!!!!!!
M.L.