Monday, May 20, 2013



Even after many years of taking pictures on the familiar bike ride from my house to the beach, I still expect every time to discover new ways of seeing my part of the world.  I decided today to try to capture a sense of the world widening as I rode west along a bike path on the north side of the San Diego River. 


For the top image, looking east with the river on the right of the bike path and Mission Bay on the left, I took two pictures and stitched them together with Photoshop. Turning slowly to the left, I took three more pictures and stitched them together to make a wider panoramic view of Mission Bay below.



The third panoramic picture is basically the same view from a different part of the path.  Click on the picture you'll see it larger.  The La Jolla hills rise in the background beyond the bridge on Mission Bay Drive and the community of Pacific Beach.  Mission Beach begins where the bay opens out into the ocean. The opening of Mission Bay out into the Pacific Ocean is exaggerated in the next panoramic image.  The extreme wide angle distorts everything.  


Below, looking west, the breakwater separating the river and Ocean Beach from the bay and Mission Beach, the wide angle lens makes everything seem wider than it really is. 








No comments: