Friday, February 22, 2013


I spent the morning with my friend Tom Fagan, the artist. While photography is definitely the medium I know, I am trying to learn to sketch; and Tom let me sit in on a session with a live model. I tried my hand at figure drawing.  Tom is the guy whom you may see working at night around San Diego. He’s the real thing... an artist who makes his living painting. Last week I included a picture of him painting at night on a blustery, cold night in Balboa Park. I’ve included here another of the photographs I took of him last week, along with the picture he painted that night.  The finished painting is my photo du jour for Friday.



I was in the mood for more art after “the lesson” this morning, so I went to Seaport Village to see Donal Hord’s sculpture, Morning.  People who live in San Diego know at least a couple of other Hord works, Guardian of the Waters, on the Waterfront in front of the SanDiego County Administration Building, Legend of California, at Coronado High School, Westwind, at the San Diego Public Library, and La Tehuana.  Hord was born in Wisconsin in 1902 and moved to San Diego in 1914 with his mother, where he died in 1966.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exquisitely beautiful, and fascinating statue.
Liz