Tuesday, January 15, 2013


In the middle of my morning bike ride as I peddled through Old Town State Park, I met a couple from China who asked if they could take my picture.  San Diego was unusually cold today, and the only people walking in the park were Asian tourists.  When I'm a visitor to another country, I look for natives of that place hoping I can get a picture.  It's the same for people who come to my city from far away. The couple wanted a picture of an obviously indigenous person, and who better than an old guy who has no better sense than to ride around on his bicycle when everybody else is either working or staying close to home.  

The couple from China, he from Cixi City thriving Travel Agency co., ltd. in Beijing, and she from Shanghai, flagged me down.  I assumed they wanted directions, but they wanted a picture of me; and after he took the picture of just me,  they wanted a picture of her and me and then one of him and me.  We stood facing the sun like old friends.  Of course, I wanted a picture of them; and they were glad to oblige.  It was wonderful.  They stood waving as I rode away, and I waved back feeling definitely connected to them and to the earth and to everything.  Life is good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We spend too much time focused on the beltway interior of DC.......where we have little control or impact......better to spend time on the little things that really add up allowing us to enjoy our diversity and find common ground.....as you did this day...as Pete Seeger says...at 94, when asked about the national condition .he said...every day 300 million little events occur that lead him to believe the country is doing just fine!
agape'
JB

Anonymous said...

I see it everyday :-)
T.M.