Sunday, January 06, 2013



I am a very fortunate man.  Fate favored me with a good family, families, actually... the family of my birth and then the family that was created when I was fortunate enough to be married to Margaret.  This blog writing isn’t about that but about my Niece Lenda, who is perhaps the most gifted writer in the extended family.  Lenda, a lawyer,  recently spent a couple of years in Puerto Rico where her husband was sent on assignment as a Federal Judge. She sent one of her poems to me, something she does sometimes.  She attached the following note:  “I wrote this one for you, Uncle Jerral, and now you know almost everything I have learned about Puerto Rico in the past year, except about church, and the food.”

I went looking for the poem again yesterday, after I had finished reading a section of a book by David M. Felten and Jeff Procter-Murphy called Living the Questions  (The subtitle is “The Wisdom of Progressive Christianity”).  I am impressed all over again with the skill, insight, and wisdom in Lenda’s poem... and with Lenda.  I called her to get permission to share it.

The photographic task today to find a photograph in San Diego to go with Lenda's poem was not such a great challenge.  "Missing Someone in San Juan" is set in Puerto Rico with reminiscenses of New Orleans; and that amazing city and Puerto Rico and San Diego have in common fountains, palm trees, and beautiful sky. 

MISSING SOMEONE IN SAN JUAN
Lenda Perez

When I'm missing someone in San Juan
I take the dogs out
Down six flights of stairs,
cause the elevator's out
Again.

I talk to Charlie
who speaks good English
And works in the building
And is descended from Bela Lagosi
he rides a bike, though it's not a Harley
But his helmet's just like the one Jack Nicholson wore
In Easy Rider
the one that wrapped itself in the flag and started to New Orleans.

Charlie won the lottery for Christmas
And gave his mother five thousand dollars.
She still lives in the neighborhood
so he sees her everyday.
She must be my mother's age
Aren't we the lucky ones!

Tia, who's always on the right lead
Insists on walking on the curb
And Yunior
Who has seniority
is so easy-going, he lets her.

Scoop that poop!
What fun, but it's got to be done
For the sake of civilization.
I heard the other day that every dog must
Wear a muzzle in San Juan
however, I have yet to see one
So I think it's safe to say that
It's never enforced.
Or even expected.

I have seen a lot of dogs here
Mostly with fine pedigrees
it's the old Spanish in them
_____their owners, I mean.
in this fine old neighborhood of Miramar
With its good Catholic schools
And it's View of the Ocean.

Carlos has his shop near the corner
Right next to Casita Miramar
In the El Torro Hotel.
he and his wife work to
Relieve the suffering of the homeless
In Viejo San Juan.
There is a Mission there
(Just as depressing as you would imagine)
This place sure reminds me of New Orleans
Except that it sits up on the hills like San Francisco
though it is centuries older.

I see the homeless men everyday
And sometimes the women
As I walk down to the Avenida
Ponce de Leon
To buy my loaf of French bread.
They call it 'pan de agua' here
____water bread__
But it is French bread all right
wonderful French bread.

In San Juan
Everyone says "Hello"
Or, rather, "!Hola!"
Or we both say
"Bona dia"
I once said that in the afternoon 
And the gentleman looked at me funny.

The Chief Judge in Jerry's Outfit
Warned him the first day
When he took the Oath of Office
not to use the familiar
As it would be inappropriate
For a man in his position.
Now that he's a Judge
And su Senoria
__Your Lordship!

He told him to be careful of his Spanish
And not to use the local patois
And drop the endings off his words
Judge del Torro was born in the States
though his family is from here.
his son is going to the Ivy League
As soon as he finishes the
Best Catholic School
Right up the hill.

Jerry was born here
(or should I say, "Gerardo"?)
Gerardo was born here
In Mayaguez, a little town
On the west coast
his people still live there
they were Sephardic Jews when they came 
Fleeing Queen Isabela and her consort
who OK'ed the Inquisition.

In Puerto Rico
Perez may be a house of Israel,
But it is primarily a Black name
So I was told 
In a shop,by a very old man
Sitting on a chair, and passing conversation
with anyone who came by.
and you know, Jerry's father
that older Gerardo,
Was a black man
You could tell by looking.

After the  
Seventh or eighth
Person told me 
that Justice Sondra Sotamayor
Came from 
Mayaguez
I realized it must be important.
her people still live there
But she was born in the Bronx.

As for me,
I always say, "Bona dia"
I make a point of it.
and someday, if I find another dog,
I shall name her
'Juana Dia,'
After the town 
Up in the mountains.
Just because I like the sound
Of the vowels.

My doggies hate the trip upstairs
the six irregular flights
almost as much as I do.
though they don't have to stop and rest
like me.

Tia always limps on that bad leg
that she got in her former life
Before she was abandoned on the street in ninety-five degree heat.
such a sweet dog
Not a mean bone
In her little body.
(She only ever growls at Me,
when I disturb her sleep, and make her move from 
her Spot
Next to Jerry in the bed.)
Yunior was left behind
Outside in Katrina,
but he never refers to it.
He is a macho little man
A Notorio,at least, in a past life, or maybe a banker.
Chihuahuas are proud dogs
In the Spanish tradition.
And he patiently waits 
On the foot of my bed
For me to turn in
and put him in his rightful place
And give him part of the quilt.
He won't get up
Until I do, although
Tia arises with Jerry
At five or six a.m.
Way too early for Yunior and me.
So She pees on the rug 
Most every morning.
Then, as soon as we're up,
I take the dogs out.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the poem. It covers so much in so few words.
M.L.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture, which I'm in the process of printing out, and INTRIGUING poem...
H.T.

Unknown said...

Oh I really enjoyed that poem, for a few reasons. Beautifully written, so clever, the humor and, the fact that its about PR, a place I worked for close to 15 years. Have been to Mayaques often and the places she mentioned in San Juan, familiar.

And I loved when she mentioned, don't drop the endings of the words, which most locals do, and all the locals I worked with do.
My wife mentioned that same thing when I said "gracia" to a store clerk. My wife asked my spanish teacher daughter Bryn, "why does dad and the locals speak spanish incorrectly?"
Love that place, and LOVED the poem.