Friday, November 16, 2012

Click on the images to see them larger.



The century plant (agave americana) is misnamed. It flowers just once and dies in the year it produces its one blossom, usually between age 10 and 30.  After the plant dies, the roots send up suckers, or adventitious shoots. These plants are indigenous to Mexico’s regions that have long periods of  drought.  It’s a popular ornamental plant now and can be found in the southern U.S.A., Europe, South Africa, India, and Australia.  This agave lives in Mission Valley.  I’d seen it many times before today and confess that I had a tinge of sadness when I saw it was sending up the shoot that will bloom in the next few months and end its life.  It’s on my bicycle route between the Museum of Photographic Arts and my house.  I am reassured by the beginnings of suckers that are already springing up like pups around the parent plant.

More Photoshopping...  I'm obviously addicted.










1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep, you're addicted. Cool though.