Wednesday, July 11, 2012



RELATIONSHIPS
Milo and I have been acquainted distantly... certainly not intimately... for months.  He and I are both considered old by anybody younger than fifty-five.  We regard each other whenever we meet at the coffee shop.  He sees me and I see him, and that’s enough... It has to be enough... because each of us has living situations and commitments that preclude any major change for either of us. I can see that he would be open for more than either of us can commit if prior commitments hadn’t already been well established.


This morning something happened that I hadn’t anticipated.  I don’t know about Milo, but when I showed interest in... I don’t even know her name, but she clearly looked me over and seemed open to at least getting acquainted.  When I first saw her, she was a bit mopey, sad maybe; but when I got up to go, she invited me over even though she was actually with someone else.  I could tell by that little thing she did with her ears that she’ll look for me the next time we happen to be in the same place at the same time.  Milo saw everything.  Nothing escapes him.  He looked just a little bit sad.  I could’t tell if the sadness was that I was paying attention to her or that she was paying attention to me.


No comments: