Saturday, July 28, 2012



I’ve tried getting along without a newspaper... We stopped the San Diego Union-Tribune a couple of months ago when it became clear that the new owner, Douglas Manchester, is determined to make an already conservative newspaper into a Tea Party rag.  I couldn’t stomach the hymns of praise for the NRA, DOMA, and Grover Norquist by the paper’s editorial staff, so Margaret and I stopped our subscription.  For the first time since we were married we didn’t have daily newspaper delivery.  Even when we lived in Singapore we subscribed to the Straits Times local English language newspaper. The newspaper was delivered to our home daily. When we lived in Washington, of course, we subscribed to the Washington Post.  In New York it was the NY Times.  We’ve lived in San Diego for twenty-five years, and even though the Copley family was decidedly conservative, the newspaper occasionally strived for some balance until Manchester came along. 
I maintain on-line subscriptions to The New York times and The Washington Post.  First thing in the morning I take a quick look at the first pages of both newspapers. I get little alert messages through the day, and those are a good cyber-space innovation.  But there’s nothing quite like the feel and smell of newsprint... on paper.  I’ve missed the clutter of the morning paper on the dining room table.  I’ll admit to feeling a bit guilty not subscribing to a daily local paper.  You’ve probably participated in those surveys that include the question that asks if your family subscribes to a daily newspaper.  I’ve dreaded being asked and having to say no.  If someone asked me to participate I’d launch into an excuse, an apology, and I’d insist that I’ve always had a newspaper delivered daily... Now that I think about it, that’s exactly what I’ve done with this journal writing. 
So there it is.  I couldn’t take it.  I couldn’t hold out.  Reading the Times and the Post on the computer and the iPad isn’t enough.  So this morning, for the first time, we got the Los Angeles Times delivered to our door.  It will come every day.  I can begin again the little satisfying ritual of going to the front door first thing and finding the paper on the mat.  It’s wonderful to start again a ritual that was interrupted for awhile.  The paper strewn around on the table with a section on a chair and another somewhere else in the house.  I left the sports section in the bathroom this morning, and it was comforting to see it there later.  Even the rubber band was a comfort today.  I don’t remember having to buy rubber bands.  They’ve always been left in a drawer in the kitchen every day.  I missed the little ritual of going to the drawer and leaving the rubber band there and then going to the drawer and reaching into the tangle and getting one when I needed it.  And you know how when you’ve husked the corn before you put it in the microwave (or maybe you’re one of those who take the husk off after the microwave stint)... whatever... There’s nothing else that works as well as the double spread pages of newspaper for wrapping corn husks for disposal.  It’s been years since I’ve taken the scales off fish and filleted them; but if I should ever do it again, I’ll have day-old newspapers to wrap the throw-away stuff in... Whoa.  It’s a good feeling to have a newspaper again.
Oh, one more thing.  The L.A. Times today began an opinion piece, “Curtain up on Inequity, Creativity” right there on the front page... lower left corner... The beginning of the “Critic’s Notebook” by Charles McNulty... started on the front page and continued on past A11.  I don’t think writers at the Union-Tribune are allowed to use the word inequity.  
Wow!  I feel whole again in my own house.






8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate all the info I've read here. I will spread the word about your blog to other people. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I entirely 2nd your experience about the printed newspaper. I will go back to a paper version of the New York Times too, I realize now how much I miss it, thanks to your note.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Hurray!
I have been subscribing to the LAT for some years now, but just Thurs-Sun. There was that "deal I couldn't refuse."
Now that I'm quitting the U-T, filling in the blanks with the LAT will be a good change. I think I'll try to stick with the Thurs-Sun LAT for awhile. Sort of like going on a diet. I'll probably cave.
Boy, do I know about papers here and there! I have quite a stack of can't-throw-this-out-yet papers. And yes, I have that kitchen drawer corner reserved for newspaper rubber bands. I love the ritual of waking up and going out to the driveway for the paper/s.
See you tomorrow.
Marla

Anonymous said...

Bravo! I havent gotten the paper in almost 2 years since leaving the house for restoration. I, too, miss the paper, but instead of renewing the UT, I too will start the LA times. I just wish they had a local edition like in the past. :)
H. M.

Anonymous said...

My maternal Grandfather, Nat C. White, with home our family lived, in Charlotte, N. C., saved the Charlotte Observer (in those days the Observer was the morning paper and the Charlotte News was the evening paper; they have since combined) anyway, Grandaddy saved the paper by the fireplace and would crumble up a couple of pieces to place with the kindling in our fireplace to help get the morning fire going on winter mornings.

Douglas Mancherster would have done well to have invited Jerral Miles to contribute a daily column. People like you, my friend, help bring balance and sanity to my world because of people like him.

Taylor

Anonymous said...

Yaaaay! We've taken the L A TIMES forever -- had my fill of the UT long, long ago, even before Manchester destroyed what ever value/balance it might have had.

I nip into the library here at Fredericka for the news about San Diego theatre and arts!

Peace
C

dcpeg said...

I'm totally with you on the daily newspaper. I NEED the ink stains on my fingers.

Anonymous said...

I gripe almost everyday about the Union yet I continue to subscribe because of the funnies, sports, local news and an occasional letter to the editors.
My rubber band drawer is full but my soul isn't.
If it weren't for you I'd be totally frustrated.
Thank you
M.L.