Thursday, April 05, 2012


I’ve respected the work and writings of biologist E.O. Wilson since I first read about his study of Ants and learned that these annoying little critters make up almost fifteen percent of the earth’s animal biomass. They are found virtually everywhere, even in the Arctic. Ants are impressive not just because there so many of them, but because they live in better organized societies than many human communities. Their caste system is more strictly monitored and more carefully controlled than human groups in India. Division of labor in their colonies is inviolable. Ants communicate with each other. Their behavior is altruistic to an extent rarely seen in human communities.

Wilson grabbed my attention again in 2006 with his book The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth. When my copy of Newsweek came this week, I was glad to see on the cover that I would find in the issue a Wilson essay entitled, “How Humans Conquered the Earth.” In the first couple of paragraphs I recognized myself, not by name; but it was clear that he was talking to me.

...from his first couple of paragraphs:

“Have you ever wondered why in the ongoing presidential campaign, we so strongly hear the pipes calling us to arms? Why the religious among us bristle at any challenge...to what they believe? Or even why team sports evoke such intense loyalty, joy, and despair? ... The answer is that everyone, no exception, must have a tribe, an alliance with which to jockey for power and territory, to demonize the enemy, to organize rallies and raise flags... and so it has ever been. In ancient history and prehistory, tribes gave visceral comfort and pride from familiar fellowship, and a way to defend the group enthusiastically against rival groups. It gave people a name in addition to their own and social meaning in a chaotic world. It made the environment less disorienting and dangerous...” (Page 43 of the April 9, 2012 issue of Newsweek)

Why do I think he was speaking to me? I am a blogger. I’ve kept a daily journal for many years. I am a compulsive photographer, having taken and kept at least one picture every day as a reminder of that day since January 1, 1987. I have kept a personal journal with an entry for every day since 1980. I have to find something to write about and something to photograph every day. Of course, I write about what’s on my mind. I write about what bugs me, what is important to me, what I want to see preserved... and I write about what I would prefer to see disappear. With my camera I capture and preserve images that I find beautiful and intriguing and ugly and disturbing. I am tribal. The writings and photographs which I post on my BLOG are statements about my tribe... and about other tribes not my own.

I am committed to the goal of encouraging the creation of societies and institutions that understand and value human rights and recognize the dignity of every human being. I develop my ideas about social justice so that my statements about them are usually consistent with the “platforms” of one particular political party. I am usually not content simply with lauding the proclamations and efforts of my party; I don’t stop when I think I’ve done that to my personal satisfaction. I often (perhaps I should say “usually”) launch into criticisms and unflattering descriptions of the other party. I am usually not content with praising and encouraging the projects and people in my own party, but I feel a strong compulsion to denigrate the activities and stated beliefs of “the other.”

So what am I going to try to do about all this? Am I going to change loyalties? Am I going to stop “fighting” (Aaah...I don’t like that word in this context, but I must admit that it’s better than any of the alternatives I considered) to help my party win elections? Of course not. But I am going to try to be more gentle... Thank you, Mr. Wilson.

A few days ago a very good friend who happens to be a member of “the other” party, someone whom I admire and respect, chided me gently for implying in my blog writing that she and anybody else who happens to be a registered “other” can’t possible be thinking and doing what is best for our country. A couple of months ago I offended my sister, whom I respect and love... and who is also registered in the “other” column, and she appropriately let me know that she felt I had crossed a line with hyperbolic rhetoric designed to “wilt” her and all others in her camp.

So... I’m going to try to be more careful. I am going to try... Am I going to become more moderate in my political leanings? Not likely. Will I stop expressing my dismay and leave behind my resolve to change what I think should be changed? Absolutely not. Can I find ways to express my ideas and to picture my disappointments and my hopes without suggesting that those who don’t agree with me are not worthy of respect? I hope so

...and I hope for indulgence, for permission to rant... to rant passionately.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Friday:
I'm using Emily Dickenson to capture Good Friday...
Life is but Life! And Death, but Death!
Bliss is, but Bliss, and Breath but Breath!
And if indeed I fail
at least to know the worst, is sweet.
Defeat means nothing but Defeat.
No drearier can befall!

Bob S.

Anonymous said...

I love your ranting. You do it for me, because I just can't quite do it. At my primary care doctor's a while back, I found it difficult to tell him and another doctor, he had sent me to, just wasn't the one for me. He put his hand on my shoulder, and said, "You just can't say anything bad about someone else." Well, I can, but it was a hard thing. We finally decided that the other doctor just was not a good fit for me.
But, I do rant silently. Perhaps I should do it louder, but from a small child, I was taught, perhaps because it was what little girls were supposed to do, be gentle, not rude, etc., etc.
I know when I was about three, my teen aunt came to visit. Apparently Mother made some remark about Mittie putting her dirty clothes back in her suitcase, as I was found rubbing soap on her clothes. I was expressing what I knew was wrong. Some people do it one way, and some another.
Is the other Liz of the other persuasion? I sorta would think so.
I loved the USNews article about Jesus. How apropo. Wish some of them would read him, and make it work.
Liz