Friday, April 06, 2012

I was sitting in a Good Friday service today when I began to wonder why a holiday/holy day commemorating a horrible execution is called “Good” Friday. I figure the most probable explanation is that Good in “Good Friday” probably started out as “God Friday" in the same way that good in goodbye started out as “God be with you.”

The WEB address below will take you to a short meditation I wrote for Good Friday in the 2012 Lenten Daily Devotional Book.

http://www.fumcsd.org/2012-lenten-daily-devotional/day-39-friday-april-6/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you keep this sort of thing up they may begin to accuse you of being a Christian!
Taylor

Lollo said...

In Sweden Good Friday is called Long Friday. Makes more sense to me.

Debbie said...

Hi Mr. Miles, i just "found" your blog. Not sure if you will remember me from Singapore or not, but I do remember you fondly. Did you take photos in Singapore? I was at SAS from 1969 to 72, my brother was there until 75.
Debbie Rowell Riches

Jerral Miles said...

Debbie, Of course, I remember you. I took thousands of photographs and other places in Southeast Asia... I hope you've been back there since 1972. What changes. I very glad to hear from you. Let's keep in touch.
Jerral

Unknown said...

I would have to agree with your explanation, makes sense to me.Have a happy Easter