Thursday, April 12, 2012


Daughter Nancy lives in Rockville, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. I like her town because its development represents all the stages of the growth of our country. When I'm here, I know I'm in America. Most of the houses on her street were build during that build up of the strong middle class in America after the Second World War. Not a wide ostentatious boulevard, the modest street lined with mature dogwood, oak, and elm trees bursts with color in springtime. Every comfortable house is bordered with azalea and lilac bushes in full bloom. There aren’t many mansions, old or new, here. Over on Rockville Pike old St. Mary’s Catholic Church, built in 1817, is the oldest house of worship still in use in Montgomery County. When I’m in Rockville, I always go to St. Mary's churchyard to visit the grave of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Zelda is buried in the same grave. The Washington Metro line runs right through the middle of the town, and a train from either of the two stops takes commuters to center of the Capital in under half-an-hour.







No comments: