Saturday, March 24, 2012

I went over to First United Methodist Church today with my camera to sit in on the rehearsal of the Lenten Choral Concert with the Chancel Choir, Masterwork Chorale, and members of the San Diego Symphony Orchestra. I'll hear the formal concert tomorrow night, but today was definitely a Norman Rockwell kind of experience, an American day. Photographs from the rehearsal are very different from anything I can get at a performance. You'll see what I mean. In homage to Norman Rockwell, I photoshopped a couple of the photographs to make them look like his paintings. They are the last two in this post. Be sure to click on those to see them larger.







The concert tomorrow night is dedicated to the memory of my friend Bill Root... a friend to most of the people in these photographs. The Brahms German Reuiem is appropriate.



3 comments:

Katie Englund said...

These are great photos, Jerral, and you do make us look like latter day Norman Rockwell choir singers (though his painting might include a beagle howling along with us). Thanks in part to the German text, we are are sort of buried in our scores, to Stan's dismay at times! This was a great choral experience though.

Unknown said...

Definitely Rockwelle like, one of my favorite artists.

Anonymous said...

Regarding how your photos of the choir remind people of work by Rockwell, I think he would have included one or two people of color for a little diversity...
David Miles