Thursday, January 19, 2012


The Human Rights Watch Film Festival began today at the San Diego Museum of Photographic Arts. The Green Wave is the first film in the series. Green is the color of Islam, and in 2009, green was the color used by supporters of presidential candidate Mir-Hossein Mousavi to identify each other. You should see this film if you are under the impression that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a benign presence in the world. You should see this film even if the only thing you know about what’s going on in Iran is the drive by the leaders of that country to develop nuclear weapons. You should see this film if you are under the impression that all Muslims are enemies of freedom and the West. You should see this film if you have any sense at all that you belong to the Family of Man. None of the photographs I took today represent what I was feeling as I left the theatre after I saw the film. On my way to museum I passed sculptor Donal Hord’s Aztec Woman of Tehuantepec. Considering what was done to the indigenous people who lived on this continent for many centuries before Europeans came to bring “civilization” to it, this statue can be an appropriate image for my photo du jour.


No comments: