Sunday, December 11, 2011

Yesterday after my experience shooting the moon in eclipse and relating the experience to Li Po’s poem, I had a reason today to take a look at one of my favorite Japanese works of art, a wood block print by Utagawa Hiroshige begun in 1833 and finished in 1834. The print is one of the series of numbered prints the artist made of Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido. It shows a sudden shower causing the bamboo grove to sway wildly. Men are seen running up the hill with a palanquin. Others are hunkered down under the pelting rain. The print has a photographic "feel" about it. Click on the image here to see it larger. Margaret and I are fortunate to have this one and two of the other prints in the series. I took this picture of our print, so it counts as my photograph for the day.

I took some photographs of an agave that has an Asian grace about it.


No comments: