Sunday, November 27, 2011

The GOOGLE BLOG system insists that this BLOG entry is for Sunday, November 27; actually, the experience and the photographs happened two days ago. About three days of BLOG entries will all be labeled November 27. WE ARE BACK HOME AGAIN, so I'll get things back in order starting tomorrow.
The Bok Kai Temple was built in 1854 by the Chinese who were among the first immigrants to work the gold fields. They built this temple in Marysville on the banks of the Yuba River. Here they worshiped Bok Kai, the god of water, who had the power to control the rains. I had never before this week found the temple open. On the day I was there, a woman clean in the temple allowed me to come inside to look around and take pictures. Everything was familiar. The temple is very much like those I saw every day when I lived in Singapore.










I was invited to take pictures of the old kitchen, not used for decades, in the back of the altar area of Bok Kai Temple. I was transported to another time.



1 comment:

anthonye44 said...

Hello Jerral,

Nice stuff. I live near Marysville, and after 17 years in Asia, 12 of them in Taiwan and Mainland China. My passions are with the culture and the people.

I created this project while living in China. It is called Art for the Heart, (A4TH) and it uses my art work to support the community. Most recently I'm using A4TH as a vehicle to raise money to renovate the Chinese School in Marysville.

Please look at my blog. http://artfortheheart44.blogspot.com/ It is new, and I am trying to develop it's personality in the area of community service and education of today's youth. Any thoughts you may have about building a blog personality please feel free to let me know your thoughts. Cheers!!!
Anthony R. Emmolo