Wednesday, October 26, 2011

BACK IN SAN DIEGO... Back from Washington with questions... about citizenship... about who the people are for whom I should feel empathy... about who are the people in the world for whom I should feel a sense of responsibility.

A few days ago I met a man who was/is obviously in “my country” without the appropriate documents to show that he is living and working legally in the United States. He is married with a wife and three children whom he left behind in a Central American country three-and-a-half years ago. He told me the names of his country and his city, but it isn’t necessary in this writing for me to say what they are. In his own country he worked full-time in a factory. The factory produces goods that are sold in the United States. He couldn’t earn enough in his job in his country to make it possible for him to feed, clothe, house, and meet other basic needs of his family; so he came to America, the land of opportunity. It took him six weeks to make the dangerous trip, the last part of his journey was a trek through a strange and dangerous border area. At one point he went sixteen hours without food or water. He thought he might die, but he kept going because he knew he had to take care of his family. In the U.S. he has worked for three years being careful to stay “under the radar.” He is obviously a gentle, good man who is devoted to his wife and children. He sends most of the money he earns to his wife in Honduras. He doesn’t complain. He doesn’t beg. He worries about the teenage daughter. He misses his wife and worries about her. The youngest son, whom he hasn’t seen since the child was a toddler, is six-and-a-half.

Of course, I know that laws regulating immigration are important... and necessary. I am aware. I read. I think. Immigration laws in the United States are very much the same as comparable laws in most other countries. The laws are not unreasonable and cruel. So, what is my responsibility to my country... and to the man? I am not his employer; therefore, I am not breaking the law by not betraying him to the Department of Immigration.

The clearest and most consistent guideline from great prophets and philosophers, we may think of them as avatars, over the years of human histories is clear. I should project myself into the other person. I should do for him what I would like him to do for me if I were in his circumstance. I should see myself in him.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Crazy isn't it. The man, looking to help his family, hard working, nice guy, does everything right....What do you do? I like how you worded the solution, treat him like you would want to be treated.
And Beneficial Exterminating?
Benefit: something that is advantageous or good.
Exterminate: To get rid of by destroying.
Those 2 words shouldn't go together.

Anonymous said...

In some ways I benefit from the advantages and privileges of citizenship, gender, and race. I am a white male citizen of the USA and that puts me at the top of the socio political economic food chain at this point in time. All that is artificial in terms of intrinsic value as a human being. On most days I see myself as other, neither here or there, neither a citizen of a particular county, member of a particular gender or race. I am a person, a human being, like every other human being struggling to be part of humanity. There are no boundries really, there is no natural selection to privilege, there is no divine right of anyone or anything...it's just us...globally universally us! Sometimes it's just me and a man from another place on the face of the earth, our paths cross and for a rare and precious moment we travel together. That moment can have no impact or it can change my own course or worldview. The tension is always between believing in nationhood, race, gender, and any other artificial category or believing in life. I choose to believe in life...so that my descendents can live peaceably alongside everyone else on this planet. Wise religious story tellers ascribed such a belief as a mandate from one they called God. And God said: "This day I call heaven and earth as my witnesses...I set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live..." The tension around your experience with the man from Honduras is the tension between the life you live and the destructive forces of naming another human being by nationality which is not where you live . A brother is a brother is a brother is a brother, you who have met many have met another one. I'm glad our paths crossed and I fully understand, appreciate, and celebrate the impact of our meeting. I'm glad to be your brother too. Bob

Anonymous said...

It is a big question many of us struggle with. On the other side is the question one of my daughters asks: Is it fair to provide "these people's" children with a college education when they are breaking the law by being here, and when we struggle to save enough for our child to have a college education, and many US citizens simply cannot afford to send their kids to college? -And then, after "their" kids graduate with a degree, they cannot get hired here legally! -Ginny