Saturday, August 06, 2011

Click on these images to see them larger.

You’d think there would be nothing new left for me to discover on my familiar ride along the north side of the river out to the ocean and then back home again along the south side of the river, but I can’t think of a day when I didn’t find something new... down by the river or just about anywhere else on earth. What an amazing planet this is. The tidal estuary at the mouth of the river was stunning today. In spite of intervention by humans who insist on pushing rocks and dirt around, the river mostly goes where it wants to go, and the patterns it makes all by itself with water and mud beat anything constructed by man. I had been mesmerized by the beauty of it all for about an hour this morning and had snapped a few dozen pictures before I rode back toward home thinking how the natural world almost always beats anything we can make. Then about halfway between Ocean Beach and Old Town I came upon a man who was taking rocks from the river bank and making a “construction” beside the bike path. I asked if I could take pictures. He said he hoped I would. I told him I was amazed. He said that’s why he did it.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

That "rock art" is crazy, love the photos of the birds and their shadows. What a beautiful bike path you have to enjoy there.