Wednesday, May 25, 2011


For Taylor Warren, Whom I Don’t Know

I have not known suffering myself,
but have seen and heard it in others
and believe it sometimes goes beyond all reason
even in a universe that apparently
created itself in catastrophe.
It’s one thing to fight and be sorely wounded
in a battle with some enemy
that comes from the deep woods
or the country next door
or even from the far reaches of space;
but when the enemy,
the cutting, slashing, puss inducing,
node infecting enemy
wages war deep inside the body
where it can’t be seen for sure
but can only be inferred
from pain and loss,
it’s too much.
It’s unfair, unreasonable!
There ought to be another way
for Nature or God or Whatever
to put us in our place.



2 comments:

Rajesh said...

I agree. I have lost many a loved ones to this enemy. There are so many other, easier ways to go. Nice pics Miles, as usual.

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, there is another way for Nature, or God, or whatever to put us in our place....you and I know what that way is. Place, it's not just the space I occupy, it's where I am the most alive...even painfully alive. Sometimes actual space becomes that place, but too often that "place" is only in my heart's mind. Either way, you are always there. And yet, how wonderful that the place I more often live can feel right, not as right as where Nature, or God, or Whatever has made for me, but right enough to make that other place an oasis to my otherwise wonderful adventure. One of my brother's had a severe stroke last Saturday and I tried to get a flight to visit him, but it was impossible. I tried to book a flight for Monday mornng, to the airport nearest the hospital...to Joplin. Nature, or God, or Whatever did not put me in that place.
Bob