Friday, April 15, 2011

TODAY I WAS LOOKING DOWN AT THE STREETS AND PARKING SPACES IN FRONT OF THE SAN DIEGO MUSEUM OF ART, and it occurred to me as I took pictures of marks made by American workers that I was connected at that moment to a truly amazing, wonderful republic. The marks that interested me most were to some extend accidents... spilled paint, indentations left when equipment was placed on soft asphalt, and fading, deteriorating stripes. I celebrate the workers who made the marks. I celebrate my citizenship in this great country.


THE MIDDLE OF APRIL... traditionally the deadline for filing income tax in America is the time that separates patriots from whiners and complainers and pretenders. Curious politicians wrapped in the flag, fool a lot of people by convincing them that having to pay taxes is somehow a violation of their liberty. A television advertisement looping over and over again on San Diego T.V. implies that the Internal Revenue Service is a monstrous agency of government that is robbing American citizens. The ad goes on to peddle the services of a tax preparation service that says it can help the taxpayer get back money that is being taken away from citizens.

I am proud to be an American. I love America. I like the fact that as an American citizen I am part owner of a Rembrandt self portrait. Leonardo Da Vinci’s Genvera belongs to me and three-hundred-million other Americans. I am part owner of Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, and fifty-six other national parks as well as numerous other national forests and monuments. Without appointment I can drive my car over forty-seven-thousand miles of Interstate Highways. I could go on listing many other properties which are jointly owned by American citizens; but the properties, the stuff, isn’t the half of it. I have peace of mind. I have status in the world. With great respect for my friends who are citizens of other countries and for their countries which I love to visit, I am glad to be an American.

I am willing to pay my fair share to support the programs that make my country the best place to live on this earth.



No comments: