Monday, March 14, 2011

CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO SEE THEM LARGERTALKING: BETWEEN ME HERE AND THE ME IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE


Shall we begin by saying how you got here, where you came from?
How you came last week into my life tentatively at first
Then boldly offering to be my friend, my confidant?
Is this natural, this arrangement we have? Is it legal?
There are people locked up in lonely rooms, you know,
Because they cannot prove someone they talk to actually is there.

So you create yourself from day to day
Around the image you hope people have of you?
Are you afraid of what they think or say
When they know that we depend on each other,
I for my existence, you for what?
Do you think there’s basis here for friendship?

-------------------------------

I thought we agreed this would be a March friendship,
That on the thirty-first day of this month of wind
You would fly back to where you came from?
Are you having second thoughts?
A few days out of the closet and you like it.
Well, don’t forget there are disadvantages out here.

The whole thing was your idea, not mine.
You invited me. You opened up and beckoned.
I was sleeping soundly with no thought of change
When you, in fact, dragged me awake to talk.
On the first day of April I may be gone, or I may not.
I’ve taken a liking to our arrangement and may stay.

--------------------------------

Then I suppose we need some rules,
Some way of keeping mine apart from yours.
A system that determines when and where we talk.
Shall we establish limits on what we do and say?
There are parts of me I’d rather not expose.
I could ask another friend to get advice.

I thought the idea was that you and I would be the closest friends,
That anything you could ever say to anybody, you could say to me.
And as for system, I think that should have no part in what we do.
Friendship promises freedom and variety and choice. It liberates.
A system by its very nature is opposed to all of that.
Let’s be friends not made to speak by sets of rules.

---------------------------

I hadn’t expected you to be dogmatic.
It was a kind of straight man I was wanting.
So it’s going to be as much your terms as mine?
If you can decide when and where... I may lose control;
And I’m not prepared to have you with me everywhere I go.
Remember, I may want to stop mid-month and send you on your way.

There you go talking about terms and control
And what you are and aren’t prepared to do.
Why not just let it happen? Lean back and turn it loose.
If we are in the same place at the same time, we are together.
That’s enough for now. If I’m not there, I’m not there,
That’s all it means. Nothing more.

No comments: