Saturday, January 01, 2011

SOPHIE’S TRUNK... has a history. Of course, I don’t know the whole story, but I know enough of it to appreciate its significance to Sophie. The trunk belonged to her great-great grandparents who brought it with them when they emigrated from the Ukraine region of Russia during the time of Katherine the Great. Today it is a gift to Sophie from her Grandmother Irene.

The trunk is an appropriate photo du jour for the first day of a new year. It’s a good metaphor for a year that hasn’t been lived in yet. It’s a trunk with experience, but it’s empty now... waiting to be filled with whatever Sophie will put into it. Be careful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love stuff like this. I would sit and look at it..and wonder. If it could only speak, right?
Beautiful shape for something with such a long history. Very special

Anonymous said...

Dear Jerral and others,

Sophie's trunk belonged to my great grandmother Anna Kaufmann who came to
the American great plains in the 19th century with her Mennonite brethren.
She suffered a hard life but lived to see her family grow and prosper. I
wrote a bit about her in my blog Cul-de-sac in summer of last year. Take a
look at the post below. You may find it interesting, and it sheds a lot of
light on Sophie's trunk.

Sincerely,
Tom Fudge (Sophie's Dad)