Monday, November 15, 2010


THE SIMPLEST THINGS

Poets notice the simplest things
and tell us how to look at them.
A friend can do that with an idea...
can say, “Here’s what I mean...”
and suddenly the notion is clearer.

I hadn’t thought about Henry Adams
for months... maybe even years
until my friend said what Adams said
about Mont St-Michel and I saw things
I hadn’t seen years ago looking at it
across the bay when I was there...

which is what friends are for...
to make the world clearer and,
dare I say, dearer... so later
riding back home close to earth
I saw grass and spiders and leaves
and flowers and, of course, you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of the great things about this blog is how you often see the simple things that others wouldn't notice. The photos of shadows, rocks, bark, insects and the like that people, including myself, speed right past without seeing. I see more now.