Sunday, October 10, 2010

Today is the tenth day of the tenth month of the year twenty-ten; so to break the spell of uniform reality, I found these curb images that are abstract and can mean whatever I want them to mean. Something abstract exists only as a thought, an idea, so one can make these fields of color into anything that pleases... or not. Anyone who remembers that I was once a teacher will guess what the green sections of curb, abstracted away from their place beside the parking lot, suggest to me. I almost always like yellow wherever I find it... in daffodils and dandelions and vases in what the Chinese call chicken fat glaze. How can yellow not be cheerful, even on the curb. I’m throwing in the less abstract red curb with drain just because... because the whole in red is mysterious, like a black hole in outer space. Earlier in the week after watching a series of photographs taken by the Hubble Telescope I tried for a few minutes to get my mind around the fact that there are hundred of billions of galaxies in the universe, and on that very day I came across the drain in the red curb near where I live and decided I’d focus my attention on it for a minute because it was something I could understand... and decided soon that it was an abstraction as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The remains of my vomit after I turned ten.....having swallowed a gold fish...which everyone does in Muscatine, Iowa, the buttom capitol of the world.....
Agape'
JB

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to find out what my Chinese friends consider about triple ten day. Double ten has always been a big thing for them. It was a holiday when we lived there.
Liz