Friday, October 15, 2010

About yesterday’s BLOG: I’m definitely moving along with plans to develop funding for organizations that directly provide intervention and support for emotionally troubled young people... but, as my friend Ben pointed out, Bark Society, while a good name, creates unfortunate initials. If anybody has an idea for a name... (Bark ----------), let me know. If we should decide to keep “Bark Society,” I guess we could use the initials to make the point that we believe ignorant and careless bigotry is dangerous B.S. which pushes many young people to a dangerous edge. My second impulse, however, is more sensible and constructive... We should find a name for our enterprise which connotes kindness, understanding, and peace.

Over coffee this afternoon with Michael Lindsay I gained another insight into the importance of the name BARK in our enterprise. Dr. Lindsay, a therapist whom I respect without reservation, reminded me of the purpose of bark on trees and how well it relates to our project. Bark is the protective outer surface of trees. Too much damage to the bark of a tree can kill it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great, generous idea. I think Bark Society works, but I understand your concerns with the B.S.

Here's what popped into my head after reading your post.

Bark Back- representing Protection and speaking out against cruelty.

Bark Ache- support and protection for those who live in pain

Bark Forward- protection and moving forward with life.

Bark Support- Obvious.

Just trying to help. please keep me posted on this project