Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today, before going out with bicycle and camera, I thought I’d do black and white photographs; and the plan made sense when I came upon Stephen relaxing in a big comfortable chair in Ed’s backyard. He was the perfect subject for a black and white portrait... but almost immediately after I clicked the shutter, the plan fell apart. First a blue jay perched on a post in the corner of the yard behind him, but it flew away before I could aim my camera in its direction. Then a sparrow came, and even as plain as sparrows are, I couldn’t bring myself to do the Photoshop magic and wipe out the color after I downloaded the images to my computer. And then on my way home, the yellow fire hydrant at the bend in the road insisted on staying yellow.
ST. PATRICK'S IS BEAUTIFUL... but in color it seems cluttered... and perhaps a little less interesting.
O.K., O.K., This is more like it. Tomorrow I’ll try again. I like black and white photography, but I haven’t learned yet to see beyond the colors of things to the shapes and shades underneath them. I’ll work on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The black and white do show the photos differently, makes me focus only on the subject. But that color photo of St Patricks I is really beautiful, very crisp, for lack of a better word.
Love em all.