Monday, September 06, 2010

Among my pictures for this day, I had choices for the writing. The sculpture of Penelope got me thinking about the ancient world; but then I fooled around with the fig pictures and remembered D. H. Lawrence’s fig episode in his novel Women In Love where his character Rupert Berkin at a picnic explains how to eat a fig... which got me thinking about figs in literature... and that finally got me wondering why Jesus got mad at that fig tree and cursed it causing it to wither, which seems to me to be a very strange thing to do; so I went looking in the Bible for other fig stories and found one that fit my pictures. I’ll bet most people don’t know (as I didn’t) that Jeremiah tells a story about naughty figs. If you’re interested at all in naughty fig stories, take a look at that picnic episode in the Lawrence novel. The way Rupert tells it, those figs are really naughty... or maybe it’s just that it seems naughty to me... You’ll have to find out for yourself. I looked all over my bookshelves for Women In Love; and, alas, it seems to have disappeared. I haven’t tried Googling to find it. But back to naughty figs in the Bible... Jeremiah 24: verses 2 and 3... “One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad.” I’m not making this up. The Bible talks about naughty figs. See for yourself. Check the King James Version.

Anyway, what can I say... I liked the figs in my photographs today... I don’t know if they were naughty figs... They are past tense now. I ate them... slowly... after I took their picture.

No comments: