Friday, August 13, 2010

Beyond their practical usefulness in everyday life, WALLS AND WINDOWS are powerful symbols. Check these out in the building that houses the Mingei Museum in Balboa Park.

I am never disappointed in the Mingei International Museum in Balboa Park. I always come away believing in liberation, in hope, in beauty. Last week I spent part of a day at the Getty Villa in Malibu, and the feeling I had wandering among the exhibits of art and crafts from ancient times was the same as I experienced today at the Mingei. We human beings get it right sometimes. Art isn’t about conquering; it’s about prevailing.

Nina was with Margaret and me today, and it was clear from the time we stepped into the first exhibit space that she understood what it was all about. At age nine she is an artist. She doesn’t draw and paint to get the best of somebody. It doesn’t seem to occur to her to compare what she does with what anybody else does. I like her spirit. ...from Southeast AsiaThese masks are from Romania.Material from RomaniaScenes from India

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this beautiful example of simplicity. Also a study in single point perspective.
Helen