Friday, May 28, 2010


I found the picture of the poppy in front of a cottage in Adare. It reminded me of Georgia O'Keeffe who must surely have been Irish.
The road from Killarney to Limerick is so narrow that sometimes when two buses meet they must maneuver slightly off the road to pass. The countryside is unbelievably beautiful... like a movie set. It’s no wonder that Ireland is actually the setting for many Hollywood and English movies. Yesterday we passed through the village where the movie Ryan’s Daughter was made around 1970. Limerick is the setting for Frank McCord’s novel, Angela’s Ashes. We spent most of the afternoon at the Bunratty Folk Park. I expected it to be like Disney Land and almost didn’t go. What a surprise. It was more like Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. The castle above was the seat of the famous King John who was forced to sign the Magna carta... the same King John who was the brother of Richard the Lion Hearted.It's impossible to pass up scenes like the one below, so I've added more photographs to the BLOG today than usual.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, what fun looking at these photos, I miss Ireland. Just really great shots, looks like your having a great trip.
If you happen to see any businesses with the name Finucane, which is my last name (unusual name in the states, but quite common in parts of Ireland, especially the west side) you have to take a picture for me.
Have a great time.

Jerral Miles said...

Mark,
I'll definitely be on the lookout for Finucanes... I may even begin stopping people on the street to ask the way to the Finucane house... I'm beginning to understand why/how you are are such a good writer: It's in your genes.
Jerral

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian