Friday, April 23, 2010

YELLOW

Yellow is my favorite color... today.
Perhaps tomorrow I may favor blue.
I remember that yesterday was all brightness...
Maybe magenta or soft pink in the sunset
or deep red like the rose beside my garden gate.

A small glass marble no bigger than a dime...
yellow swirls around deep red nearly black
I have saved in my memory to recall
when I am close to death and need help
crossing over into what comes next.

But not yet, not yet while yellow daisies
dance beneath the blue white canopy
of April sky and clouds with all the world
alive and I am in it listening to bright colors
...looking at the songs of mocking birds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerral:
Orange is my favorite color; its brightness harks back to my youth when I helped my dad pick oranges in the lazy summer afternoons. Working the orange trees on a ladder for a couple of hours always was worth a break to peel an orange and taste its juicy pulp. It's an idyllic memory that soothes my soul, especially the time spent with my father in his two acre orange grove. My memory is also supported with the drone of a prop engine airplane flying slowly in the summer afternoon sky, perfectly blue above and the smell of clean earth just days after irrigation. Those were the days!! Thanks, jerral, for how you transmitted the way you see your favorite color of yellow in the context of today's blog. Hasta pronto. ...B

Jerral Miles said...

B...
After having grown up in the Central Valley north of Sacramento, and after having gone away to live somewhere else, I fell in love with all the seasons in California. It wasn't until I had moved away from the beautiful dry hills in summer on both sides of the The Valley did I discover how beautiful they are... and the green sprints... Beautiful!
Jerral

Anonymous said...

Jerral, This is a profound thought...and beautifully put. They are what I will save in my memory to help me cross over.

Thanks,
T...