Saturday, February 20, 2010

I don’t often post somebody else’s photograph on my BLOG, but today I couldn’t resist using one sent to me by my friend Mary Louise Ross. I don’t know who took the picture of the hen caring for an exausted puppy while her chick looks on; but whoever did it has increased my sense of hope that things can better in this world if we all just learn to care for each other no matter what our differences. I hope the photographer won’t mind my sharing his/her photograph. The snails are my own photographs for today. The snail, like the borrowed photograph, was an incidental gift to me today. Another friend gave me a big plant that has grown too large for her patio, and on one of the leaves I found the snail when I got home. I set it free on some big shrubs that need trimming... and took the pictures. Together with the puppy and mother hen, these snail pictures make a good homily... a reminder that things might be better if we just slow down and enjoy what's around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As we French majors would say, "Look at that S-Car Go!"

Did you know that Mary Louise Ross was teaching boys' chorus at Montgomery Middle School in Linda Vista in the late 1950s when Bob Cooper reported there for his first teaching job in choral music? He took over her boys' chorus, for which she was (and still is) eternally grateful! They weren't colleagues for too long, as she moved into administration, and he eventually into choral music at the high school and then resource levels. When the Coopers bought their current house on Pacifica Dr. in the 1960s, she came on the first day of their furniture-less residence there and brought homemade soup. When they celebrated their 40th anniversary in that home, Bob found her in an old San Diego City Schools directory that I had, invited her to the fete and served--soup. I was there too as the Coopers' perpetual housesitter. Mary Louise hadn't sung for years and years, but that evening we sang a hymn about a "house" around the piano (if I had a better memory I'd remember which one), and suddenly she could sing again--and now she's an enthisiastic member of the Masterwork Chorale. If I believed in divine miracles, I would almost think this was one. It was defnitely an musical "reawakening" of some sort. Since I know you are interested the human aspect of seemingly random events, I thought you would find this interesting.

I do intend to reply to your "the God problem", as I always have quite a bit to say about that. You and I do tend to think alike on that particular subject.

Katie