Thursday, January 21, 2010


Confined mostly to the apartment on this rainy day in San Diego, I settled on this wooden figural comb for my photograph. I have owned the piece for so long I don’t remember exactly where I got it. I’m old enough now to begin to wish I had kept a record of all these things Margaret and I have accumulated from all over the world. After a search on Google and in a couple of books on African art, I’ve come to the conclusion that it was probably made by the Bamana people of Mali in West Africa. It is 22 inches tall and 8 1/2 inches wide. I’m also guessing it is not very old, probably from the second half of the 20th century. Whoever made it, I am grateful to have it hanging on my wall...

In the early evening the storm cleared for a little while, and I went out to see if I could get a picture of downtown San Diego from the Laurel Street Bridge.

No comments: