Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The late Herb Caen, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, loved his city. I especially liked his collection of essays titled Baghdad-by-the-Bay. His earlier book, Don't Call It Frisco, was also one of my favorites. I was waiting near the airport to pick up friends and thought of Caen as I aimed my camera at our city. I look at San Diego-by-the-Bay and wonder how and why the citizens of such a beautiful place could allow its city to get into the fiscal hole where we find ourselves now. I heard today, for example, that the public school system faces a hundred million dollar deficit next year. Teachers will be laid off, classes will have to have more children, and faculty and staff salaries will be cut. In these crazy economic times San Diego needs somebody like Caen to love us and push us to be better than we are.

No comments: