Friday, August 28, 2009

This evening Margaret and I had dinner in La Jolla with two wonderful friends, friends who matter. Leslie Abrams and Janice Culpepper were my students at the Singapore American School. They make me very proud to have been their teacher. Leslie is a librarian helping students navigate the world of words at the University of California, San Diego; and Janice is a biologist doing important work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. After dinner, as Margaret and I walked back to our car feeling very glad indeed to have had a beautiful evening with Leslie and Janice, we passed under a tree that is right out of the world of Dr. Seuss, whose home for many years was La Jolla. He’s the guy who said, “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” After all the years, I won’t say how many, since they were high school students, Leslie and Janice are truer than true. The tree and the moon were made for the evening, or maybe the evening was made for the tree and the moon. Whichever, I am glad for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't it great, Jerral, to be with students who, way back when were not all that far along from their childhood. And there you and Margaret were with those two accomplished, talented women! I too have known the joy of having former students return to be with me and Irene. The true joy of having been a teacher!

Jim

Jerral Miles said...

Jim,
I'm glad we can both still remember what it was like to be teachers of good people like Leslie and Janice.
Jerral