Monday, August 03, 2009

About this flower: It is a single bloom on a succulent on Helen Gasser’s back porch. Helen’s plant was started from the one pictured below. In other years the parent plant has produced one or two flowers in the summer. Perhaps some will come later, but now there are no buds. The parent plant was started about twenty years ago from a plant in Stanley and Colleen Mitchell’s back porch. Colleen is Margaret’s sister. Their plant was started perhaps fifty years ago from one that hung on the porch of Margaret’s and Colleen’s parent's house. I have always thought of it as Mrs. Martin’s plant. Mrs. Martin was born in 1900. I don’t know when the plant came into her life.

I will probably go on calling it Mrs. Martin’s plant even after I learn its proper name. If anyone out there in cyber land knows what this plant is, let me know. I think is may be of the Family Crassulaceae and of the Genus Sedum. It looks like, but isn’t, the plant that is commonly called “burro’s tail” or “donkey’s tail.”

By the way, the flower really stinks. I suppose the stinking is intended to attract flies, which it does.

No comments: