Tuesday, March 24, 2009


WHAT WAS IT HE SAID?

Something about the loneliness of mountains,
the way Aspen leaves quake, or are they birches?
About the people who live in comfortable houses
above a bridge under which homeless children sleep?
About deep green woods at dusk perhaps like death
becoming subtly darker until only outlines remain?

I live in the condominium community on the hill across the valley. The bridge and the wooded area by the river below our place is home to dozens of people, some of them children. I hope I never forget they are there and that I have responsibility to do everything I can to get them back in homes. One of the things I am proud to say I did was to vote for the good man who is now president of my country. In his news conference tonight he said, and I quote, "It breaks my heart that any children in our country are homeless." He pledged to continue to work to get their parents back to work and the families back in homes. The historic gates at the north end of Park Boulevard will serve to remind me that the good life is closed off to far too many people.

No comments: