Monday, March 10, 2008

THIS ACORN WOODPECKER lives in a group of about twelve in San Diego's Tecolote Canyon. You almost never see just one of them; and their clownish wake-up, wake-up call makes them easy to recognize even before you see them. The birds obsessively make holes in both dead and live pine and oak trees and store a reserve supply of acorns in them although their main diet consists of fruits and insects. Like all woodpeckers, these birds use their tails to steady themselves when clinging to a tree.

Acorn woodpeckers are highly social and live in groups of twelve or more. The bird in these photographs lives in a group in Tecolote Canyon. I read that only a few in the group may mate, but all take responsibility for raising the babies and creating nests.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerral, I like your philosophy a lot, and yes life is short. anyway, I was out in the backyard today and I kept hearing this pounding up in the chestnut tree knowing full well that it was a downy woodpecker, (they are very small), funny thing was, I could not find it anywhere on the tree trunk. so I just went back into the greenhouse and continued planting the geranium clones. Maybe I'm just loosing it. yo no se. ciao Michiel

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.