Sunday, June 03, 2007

STREET STAIN

For a long time I've been intrigued by designs I find in streets...usually when I'm riding my bicycle. Today I came across a patch of pavement that reminded me of the work of abstract expressionist artists like Clifford Still, Jackson Pollock, and Sam Gilliam. Maybe the stain was made by a leaky car radiator.

I sometimes wonder what people think when they see me standing over a spot in the road aiming my camera down toward what they must think is nothing. It's definitely something! ...but it won't last...except in my photograph and in my memory. Years from now when the design on the pavement has been erased by traffic and weather, I will come across the picture and will remember the day and the sunshine and the good, blue-green earth where even random stains can be beautiful.

No comments: